Kerim Aydin on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:51:28 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Dipnomicy - revised initial ruleset

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Arkady English wrote:
> 8. Proposals to transmute a rule require a unanimous vote to be adopted.
> 9. Proposals which do not

Don't leave us hanging... do not what??? :)

> 17. Each move submission must contain a rule-change proposal. These
> proposals are distributed anonymously in the move report.
> 18. Each move submission, except that of the first turn, must contain
> that playerʼs votes on the proposals in the previous move report.
> Anonymised vote aggregates and results are issued in the move report.
> 19. Each move submission must contain a legal move for each unit that
> player controls. Whether each move was successful and the final
> positions of all units are issued in the move report.

Can you be very clear about what would happen if something were missing?
Invalidate the whole submission and default to Hold/Abstain?  Tell the
player privately "you haven't submitted a valid move, try again"?  And
time limit -if it's "until everyone gets a move in correctly" I'm a little
worried about the game stalling out.

It's also important to be clear about consequences about missing
individual moves because failure to submit a move for a single piece
(or vote in this case), is a nice, old fashioned, Dip strategy ("gosh,
I *meant* to support you...").

I think it would be better to say from the outset "missing moves default
to Hold, missing votes default to abstain, but not including a
rule-change proposal invalidates the whole thing".  Of course, I can
make this my first proposal submission, but it might be worth being
clearer at the outset how you plan to treat this just because it will
affect moves from the very beginning.

-G.