Craig Daniel on Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:16:30 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Emergency Resolution

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 5:50 AM, James Baxter <jebaxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:22:35 -0500
>> From: teucer@xxxxxxxxx
>> To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [s-d] [s-b] Emergency Resolution
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Geoffrey Spear <wooble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Which of the historical rulesets the die roll corresponds to is,
>> > conveniently, not the problem of the person resolving this decision.
>>
>> How I think we do this:
>>
>> 1E rulesets are allegedly all reconstructible, but I don't have access
>> to the tools that would do said reconstructing.
>
> Start with archive.org's past versions of the rules and apply the changes from the mailing list archive. It's an overcomplicated way of doing things but since 1E was less platonic then the decisions taken in 1E should be verified platonically.

Yes, but Wooble has the database to make this cumbersome approach unnecessary.

>> 2E rulesets, I have absolutely no idea where to get. If nobody has any
>> particular thoughts on this matter, we could all agree that they are
>> inaccessible; I'm against skipping that era if we can get at it, but
>> if we can't, we may have no choice.
>
> Work through from 1E. Again, this is complicated but in particular we should attempt to justify the jump from 1E to 2E.

No, 2E started with a complete ruleset rewrite. If you can find the
message with its initial rules, I'd love to see them.

(As for justifying the jump - the 1E rules were completely lost in the
server crash. They had to start with something.)

>> 3E rulesets are easy enough - that's when the wiki starts tracking them.
>
> Not all 3E rulesets are valid due to the comment bug. The initial one is, the one at the end of nweek 112 is and the changes to the
> ruleset after any emergency are. All other 3E rulesets can't exist due to the comment bug preventing the nweek from increasing (and
> thus stopping voting).

I had forgotten it showed up that early.

>> 4E and 5E rulesets are not part of current B Nomic history, since they
>> were platonically never the rules. Exceptions: the initial rules of
>> those two eras, which were adopted but forbade gameplay.
>
> The 4E initial ruleset worked as it came from an emergency, as did any changes applied in any emergencies in 4E up until P266
> allegedly passed (it didn't really pass because the comment bug platonically prevented voting on it). Since 5E was started by a post-
> P266 emergency, the 5E initial ruleset is not part of the game since the emergency can't have happened (no-one hit their panic buttons
> after P266).

That's a good point.

...wait, did the 6E emergency involve any panic buttons?

My recollection is that we all sort of did everything because we
weren't sure what the comment bug required of us, but hm.

>> 6E rulesets are also on the wiki.
>

> 6E rulesets are fairly easy to find, we would have to take into account all the rulesets since the end of 5E though.

Everything after the end of 5E is by definition 6E.

> The other option is compsciguy's proposal to go back to 5E, which would not require working out rulesets (it would need people to agree
> to start an emergency though).

Too late, as this one's been resolved. We don't know what the
emergency procedure is, and I'm waiting to hear Wooble's argument for
why it is the one used in late 1E, but we're clearly in an emergency
situation that's just waiting for recognition. I encourage everybody
to recognize an emergency, consent to an emergency, recognize a state
of emergency, and hit their panic button, so we can resolve on
absolute certainty about when we are.

 - teucer