Geoffrey Spear on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:42:56 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] This game is boring, let's have an Emergency.

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Elliott Hird
<penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 21 December 2010 09:17, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 0x44 – Refresh Proposal
>> Replace the text of the ruleset with the text of a random historical ruleset determined by dice roll in accordance with Rule 9.
>
> Note: I am pretty sure this platonically and immediately replaces the
> ruleset with a random one, and inserts a dice roll into the
> ever-growing B Canon of Stuff That Never Actually Happened; after all,
> the refresh proposal says "Replace the text of the ruleset ...", not
> "Wait for someone to roll a die and then replace the text of the
> ruleset ...".
>
> What I'm saying is: After this passes, we need to initiate an emergency.
>
> With a polyglot of all possible ways to initiate an emergency in the past.

Ah, but Rule 9 specifically refers to a player being required to make
the determination; therefore this task is implicitly assigned to
whomever resolves the emergency.  What's "reasonably achievable" here
may be subject to debate.  I'd argue that there are probably many past
rulesets which will have a probability of 0 of being selected, but
that this is the closest reasonably achievable probability for them.

I really wish Wonko's old database directly tracked which proposals
passed, although I think I can reconstruct all of the Antient Era from
the voting records.

I'm not sure about Era 2.  It... ummm... might not have happened.

{{
> I've always felt that it was an unwritten rule of absolutely any game
> at all that the players can unanimously change the gamestate at any
> time for any reason, as long as nobody complains, so even if we didn't
> have a majority of declarers, we could still argue that we can do
> anything we want if nobody complains.

Well yes. If nobody in the game objects, then there's nothing to stop
us. The Nomic Police aren't going to arrest us for not following our
own rules :).

So, since I think there is cause for it, nobody's complained, and a
majority of "active" players have recognized it, I'm going to start
the Emergency Procedure.
}}

--
Wooble