Kerim Aydin on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:28:26 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [Oracle] CFI 102/0

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Alex Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 21:03 -0500, Craig Daniel wrote:
>> Since there is no indication in the ruleset that the action causes the
>> old player to deregister, I assert that a requirement for becoming a
>> player (which is obviously and tautologically not a requirement for
>> being a player) is, by the definition of the word "become," not being
>> a player already.
>>
>> I judge CFI 102 TRUE.
>
> For quite a while, bigamy was impossible to commit in the UK for this
> reason. The issue is that marriage was defined as a change of state from
> being unmarried to being married, and so it was theoretically impossible
> to become married whilst already married.

Clever!  But would the (attempting) bigamist's unmarried, unknowing second
spouse become married?  (I believe it was the case that if you thought you'd
been married you were married; for example if an unauthorized official
conducts the marriage, it wouldn't work to get out of it later by saying
"sorry, that 'church official' was just my friend who owed me a favor, so
we're not really married.")

=Goethe