Joel Uckelman on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:40:49 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [Oracle] CFI 102/0

Thus spake Kerim Aydin:

> Clever!  But would the (attempting) bigamist's unmarried, unknowing second
> spouse become married?  (I believe it was the case that if you thought you'd
> been married you were married; for example if an unauthorized official
> conducts the marriage, it wouldn't work to get out of it later by saying
> "sorry, that 'church official' was just my friend who owed me a favor, so
> we're not really married.")

That remindes me of the Donatists in the early Christian church. They
believed that church rites performed by people who had at one time
renounced their faith were invalid---which creates significant risk for
their  congregations, since you may not be able to tell apart priests who
are true believers from those who are not...

--
J.