Jay Campbell on Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:55:15 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation 183

It says: game actions can happen by being caused by a rule.

So we have two ways of performing game actions.

1) Post, to a public forum, that you are performing a game actions that is
permitted by the rules.

2) automatically, according to a rule that causes the game action to occur.

It was #2 - The game action happened automatically, because Contracts are an extension of the Rules. Contracts can cause obligations (and their triggered automatic execution) and are able to consult the general world to see if a qualifying action has occurred - e.g. the transfer of macks, the joining of a Contract.

No limitation was put in place stating only internal game state is accessible. Contracts should be able to watch all sorts of External Forces. I should be able to create a Contract that pays players based on S&P 500 movement. In comex's case, the contract tracked (or reliably assumed to track) player breathing.

The only problem is that the Rule doesn't spell out "explicit consent".