Ed Murphy on Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:22:04 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation 183

j wrote:

>> It says: game actions can happen by being caused by a rule.
>>
>> So we have two ways of performing game actions.
>>
>> 1) Post, to a public forum, that you are performing a game actions that is
>> permitted by the rules.
>>
>> 2) automatically, according to a rule that causes the game action to occur.
>>

> It was #2 - The game action happened automatically, because Contracts
> are an extension of the Rules. Contracts can cause obligations (and
> their triggered automatic execution) and are able to consult the general
> world to see if a qualifying action has occurred - e.g. the transfer of
> macks, the joining of a Contract.
>
> No limitation was put in place stating only internal game state is
> accessible. Contracts should be able to watch all sorts of External
> Forces. I should be able to create a Contract that pays players based on
> S&P 500 movement. In comex's case, the contract tracked (or reliably
> assumed to track) player breathing.
>
> The only problem is that the Rule doesn't spell out "explicit consent".

What aspect of 5E57's "No Player shall be made a Party to a Contract
without their explicit consent" is being disputed?  The only way I
see it working is if it's backed by one of the "5E10 is broken and
lets anyone do anything" interpretations.