Roger Hicks on Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:39:17 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: B-Chess

On Jan 21, 2008 2:07 PM, Mike McGann <mike.mcgann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm confused on the timing of this. If I perform an action, the
> Referee is obligated to turn the field. After it is turned, I can
> perform another action right away? Does each action invoke a turn of
> the field? If 5 people request to invoke an action, is that done in
> one turn of the field when the referee gets around to processing it or
> is it done in five turns? Is it in the best interest of the referee to
> wait as long as possible, within a Jiffy, to slow down the action?

My intention was that the referee can satisfy all his outstanding
obligations to Turn the Field with one turning. So although six
players invoke actions that require the field to be turned, the
referee need only turn the field once within a Jiffy of the first of
those actions. If it's not clear enough however then submit a
consultation.

And yes, if I were Referee I would delay Turning the Field for several
days so as to keep the game at a moderate pace of advancement and
provide a more level playing field to all players.

> > Invokable Action: Purchase
> >  Trigger: A Game Action by any player who possesses a King object on
> > the Field that spends X macks, where X is ten times the number of
> > times this player has previously invoked
> > this action since the Field was last turned
>
> I'd prefer something besides macks since that isn't an entity
> controlled by the field match.

Not sure what? Whatever the case, the first piece is free each Turn,
getting more will progressively cost you more.

> >  Effect: A new Field Object is created at random based upon the
> > following weighted table and is placed in a random unoccupied square
> > adjacent to that Player's King:
> >    Field Object   Weight
> >    ---------------------
> >    Pawn               10
> >    Rook                3
> >    Knight              3
> >    Bishop              3
> >    Queen               1
>
> If all squares are occupied, then what?

Good point.

> > Action: Checkmate
> >  Trigger: Only one King remains on the Field
> >  Effect: The player whose King remains is the winner of the Field
> > Match. The Current Field Match ends.
>
> Could there be a stalemate? We would need an ending condition for that
> if possible.

I don't think this could happen because players can just buy more
pieces and break the stalemate.

> > Field Object: Pawn
> >  Invokable Action: Move
> >   Trigger: A Game Action by the owner specifying an adjacent space in
> > a cardinal direction
> >   Effect: If the specified space is unoccupied the Pawn moves to the
> > specified space
> >  Invokable Action: Capture
> >   Trigger: A Game Action by the owner specifying an adjacent space in
> > a diagonal direction
> >   Effect: If the specified space is occupied the Field Object
> > occupying that space is destroyed and the Pawn moves to that space
>
> Making sure: Pawns can move like rooks limited to one space, and can
> only capture like bishops limited to one space?

Correct.

BobTHJ