Ed Murphy on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:25:32 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Game Action: Dictatorship of the Proletariat or quick fix to the Emergency.

0x44 wrote:

> Rule 1-10 ratifies impossible actions after one day to prevent our
> having to go back several ndays to resolve quantum ruleset states. Any
> action that has not been declared invalid is considered valid in every
> way, even if it isn't in accordance with the rules.

Rule 1-10 is silent on the subject of activities that aren't Game
Actions at all.  According to the version of the rules currently up
at the wiki, the following are Game Actions:

   (1-8) Reorganizing the rules in various ways
   (1-16) Submitting transactions
   (2-1) Turning the clock on/off
   (2-2) Withdrawing pending proposals, reducing one's vote power
           voluntarily
   (2-5) Submitting consultations, selecting priests, answering
           consultations, submitting oracularities, submitting claims
   (2-8) Objecting
   (2-9) Supporting
   (3-9) Tidying up
   (3-10) Transferring currency, exchanging points for currency
   (3-12) Transferring devices
   (3-14) Creating blueprints, buying unique devices, bidding on
            blueprints
   (3-16) Changing the motnw
   (3-17) Changing the Threat Flag
   (5-2) Joining the game, ceasing to be a faction
   (5-3) Giving allegiance to a faction
   (6-2) Taking a vacant ministry
   (6-3) Resigning a ministry
   (6-4) Usurping a ministry

Anything not on this list, notably including changing the rules, does
not benefit from 1-10's ratified-unless-challenged clause.

The reason ISIDTID gets muddled is that many actions (the ones that
the players generally intended to be possible and permissible) /do/
effectively get performed that way.  For comparison, here's the
current version of Agora's explicit legislation on the subject:

       A message is public if and only if it is sent via a public forum
       or is sent to all players and contains a clear designation of
       intent to be public.  A player "publishes" or "announces"
       something by sending a public message.

       Where the rules define an action that CAN be performed "by
       announcement", a player performs that action by announcing that
       e performs it.  Any action performed by sending a message is
       performed at the time date-stamped on that message.