0x44 on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:32:35 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Game Action: Dictatorship of the Proletariat or quick fix to the Emergency.

Ed Murphy wrote:
> 0x44 wrote:
>

>> Rule 1-10 ratifies impossible actions after one day to prevent our
>> having to go back several ndays to resolve quantum ruleset states. Any
>> action that has not been declared invalid is considered valid in every
>> way, even if it isn't in accordance with the rules.
>>

> Rule 1-10 is silent on the subject of activities that aren't Game
> Actions at all.  According to the version of the rules currently up
> at the wiki, the following are Game Actions:
>
>    (1-8) Reorganizing the rules in various ways
>    (1-16) Submitting transactions
>    (2-1) Turning the clock on/off
>    (2-2) Withdrawing pending proposals, reducing one's vote power
>            voluntarily
>    (2-5) Submitting consultations, selecting priests, answering
>            consultations, submitting oracularities, submitting claims
>    (2-8) Objecting
>    (2-9) Supporting
>    (3-9) Tidying up
>    (3-10) Transferring currency, exchanging points for currency
>    (3-12) Transferring devices
>    (3-14) Creating blueprints, buying unique devices, bidding on
>             blueprints
>    (3-16) Changing the motnw
>    (3-17) Changing the Threat Flag
>    (5-2) Joining the game, ceasing to be a faction
>    (5-3) Giving allegiance to a faction
>    (6-2) Taking a vacant ministry
>    (6-3) Resigning a ministry
>    (6-4) Usurping a ministry
>
> Anything not on this list, notably including changing the rules, does
> not benefit from 1-10's ratified-unless-challenged clause.
>
> The reason ISIDTID gets muddled is that many actions (the ones that
> the players generally intended to be possible and permissible) /do/
> effectively get performed that way.  For comparison, here's the
> current version of Agora's explicit legislation on the subject:
>
>        A message is public if and only if it is sent via a public forum
>        or is sent to all players and contains a clear designation of
>        intent to be public.  A player "publishes" or "announces"
>        something by sending a public message.
>
>        Where the rules define an action that CAN be performed "by
>        announcement", a player performs that action by announcing that
>        e performs it.  Any action performed by sending a message is
>        performed at the time date-stamped on that message.

Yes, I acknowledge that. My action was discussed by other PEPs prior as
a possible solution to this emergency. I put it forth, in the view that
if a majority of players acknowledge a rule or gamestate - then that
gamestate or rule is valid, despite potential rule violations.

Many people play Monopoly with a pot of currency in the center of the
board given to the player who lands on the Free Parking space. That is
specifically prohibited in the rules, but is considered valid gamestate
for those players.