Ed Murphy on Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:55:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation

Mike McGann wrote:

> What I could never understand in the whole debate of this was how
> something gains a magical "regulated" property just by describing it.
> If there is a rule "There is an object called a washing machine", it
> is now "regulated" but regulated in what way?

Its existence is regulated.

More commonly, if a type of action involving washing machines is
described, then that type of action is regulated.  However, if a
TOAIWM isn't described, then presumably it isn't regulated; hence
(for instance) Agora's blanket provision regulating anything that
would change the contents of a Public Display (i.e. if a TOAIWM
isn't described, and WMs are part of a PD, then it's impossible).