Daniel Lepage on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:54:00 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Make votes into attributes

On 7/16/07, Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This removes the distinction between ABSTAIN and not voting, clarifies
> what submitting a vote means, stops us from needing to call it a "Final
> Vote" everywhere, and just generally uses our attribute system more.

I disagree with removing the distinction between ABSTAIN and not
voting. ABSTAIN means "I don't care one way or the other about this
proposal", and not voting means "I'm not here". We used to give people
small point incentives to vote (do we still do that?); we shouldn't
encourage people to vote FOR/AGAINST props they don't care about just
to get points.

> For each proposal, there is a corresponding Vote attribute, with a scope
> of all Registered Voters, a range of the values {FOR, AGAINST, ABSTAIN},
> and a default value of ABSTAIN.

Doesn't this immediately give us all several thousand attributes
immediately? And isn't somebody required to display all attributes of
all players on a public display?

Also, I don't understand the advantage of Attributes. How is "There is
an Attribute Vote Power with a Scope of Registered Voters, a Range of
the nonnegative integers, and a Default Value of 0." better than
"Every Registered Voter has a nonnegative integer called Vote Power,
which is initially 0"? The first seems equivalent but harder to read.

--
Wonko