Roger Hicks on Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:37:29 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] My take on factions

On 6/27/07, Antonio Dolcetta <antonio.dolcetta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I read this correctly Non-faction-loving players (let's call them
> individualists) would have the choice between using all their voting
> point to have all faction's voting power decrease by 15% or spending
> their points increasing another individualist's voting power. Both seem
> pretty poor choices.

Oops, I intended for a Player to be able to spend their Vote Points
for themselves (as I said, I typed that in a hurry).

> It would take 7 players all their voting points (this means they don't
> get to vote at all during that voting) to reduce faction's voting power
> to 0. That's never going to happen.
> And why would you want to incentivate factions in the first place ?

If you could spend your points on yourself (which is what I intended),
then there would be no reason to contribute your points toward a
faction. That is why I permitted factions the ability to accumulate
Power. However, I don't think it makes it unbalanced. The system is
self-regulating in two different ways:
1. Destroying a percentage of Factional Voting Power ensures that more
powerful factions take a more severe hit than less powerful ones.
2. Players control the percentage of Voting Power lost. Players are
more prone to be 'individualists' when faction power is high, thus
restoring balance to the situation.

BobTHJ