shadowfirebird on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:59:49 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] amending: more elections

> Less likely to end in a tie ?
> Just because it's more complicated doesn't mean it's less likely to end
> in a tie.

This is true.  I had misremembered reading that that was the case in
the wikipedia article I based my proposal on.

>If I have to guess, I'd say the chances for a tie are about
> the same. I haven't done any math about it though, and a quick 10 minute
> research on google on the matter suggests that actually writing down the
> math is non-trivial

Eek.  No, don't go there.

I intuit that the chances of a tie are less, but then I intuit wrongly
all the time.

> you don't have to put it in English explicitly, you can just say:
> voters vote by ranking the candidates from their most favorite to their
> least favorite.
> candidate X has a pairwise victory over candidate Y if more voters rank
> X over Y than Y over X.
> the winner of the election is the candidate that pairwise beats all
> other candidates (if such a candidate exists)
>
> done

Hmm.  A lot simpler to describe than to do, then.  That was me
thinking as programmer not as legislator, obviously...