Daniel Lepage on Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:55:51 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] Re: Peter - You have a masterful Tiles PlayAvailable.

The other word e could've done was TRIGGERED in the center, turning DIVERSIONARY into VISIONARY and AI/RL/ED into /RL/AID. It would have gained three zones and, more importantly, given em control of more than half the tiles on the board, and the only Rune there. EFFORTFUL was almost as good, except of course that it was obviously a vastly inferior play because it took my tiles instead of yours :)

Just out of curiosity, did you give Peter that play just for the small change e paid you, or did you do it intending to then profit from it with a high-scoring word elsewhere?

I do crosswords occasionally, but I'm afraid I lack the historical and pop cultural knowledge necessary for most of them. I do a lot of word games, though, especially Scrabble and Cutthroat Anagrams.

As for interest, another suggestion of the Baron comes to mind: We put in a clause whereby a 3/4 majority of all players can eliminate the game just by mutual consensus, without the need for proposals and whatnot. That way it'll stay around as long as there's interest, and if it becomes too unused it'll just disappear.

This would've been a good thing to have had with the Grid, since the main reason activity was falling off (I think) is that there wasn't enough interest in that game but at the same time nobody wanted to make new games when we already had big ones.

--
Wonko