Daniel Lepage on Sun, 29 May 2005 00:04:50 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] I shouldn't have eaten the 99 cent sushi.

There were three things that caused it all to fall apart.

First was the fact that the rules allowed the posting player to add whitespace to the result. Thus, you could remove all spaces from your document, "babelize" it (which would barely change it), and then reinsert the spaces to get a message almost identical to what you wanted. I think Uin pointed this out first.

Somebody (BvS, I think) followed up on that with a normal post, claiming that we couldn't prove that e didn't do something like what Uin did. What's more, e argued, it was conceivable that e had actually put some text through properly, and it had by complete coincidence yielded eir message. Since we couldn't prove that this didn't happen, we had to take eir word for it.

Meanwhile, I argued that the whole Sushi thing was moot anyway, on the grounds that it said the player could not post unbabelized messages to the forum. I claimed that the rules couldn't regulate anything except the abstract parts of the game, and so "Players may not make proposals" is a restriction that regulates how we do things, but "Players may not post to spoon-business" is simply a false statement. Similarly, "The player holding the sushi cannot post messages to public fora unless said messages have been babelized" is a false statement, because the rules have no real power to stop me from posting whatever I want to s-b.

I believe the general consensus was that all three points were correct: Removing and reinserting spaces was a good way to circumvent the sushi, doing nothing and claiming you'd removed and reinserted spaces was an even better way, and neither was needed because it didn't actually do anything anyway.

The fourth issue with the sushi was simply the irritation of it. A player holding the sushi (prior to the CFJs that declared it ineffectual) was effectively unable to take any action - e'd try to create a proposal, and get random gibberish, or e'd try to vote, and end up voting "It is Valid" on proposals with names that didn't exist, or e'd try even just to buy a t-shirt or pick up a gnome, and would instead make some claim about ankhs and donkey insides. It was very funny, briefly, but after a few nweeks it became really, really annoying.

Although I'm for bringing it back in some form or other, I won't vote for anything that doesn't address all of the above problems, because once through all those CFJs was quite enough.

--
Wonko