Daniel Lepage on Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:07:57 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] King for a Day prop

On Mar 9, 2005, at 2.35 PM, Jake Eakle wrote:

A number of dice is not a number of research points. If there were a clause
saying "If you get more than 100 research points in this way [something
happens]" then that could be changed, but the die roll only determines how many you get, it is not an actual number of points. Another example would be if something said "You get research points equal to the number of tildex you
own divided by 100" you couldn't change the 100. You can only change
numbers, not functions.

But 3 RPs is a number of RPs. So if you get (3d10) RPs, minus 3 RPs, the three should be changeable.

BTW, when I was a player in Nomicron some time ago they had a nice way of doing this sort of thing - certain numbers throughout the ruleset were marked as "tweakable", and this sort of random numeric modification was only permitted on "tweakable" quantities. For example, our rules would say that "upon joining the game, every new player gets 1 (tweakable) point." and then that 1 could be altered by various other means.

--
Wonko

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat.
   -- Douglas Adams