Jake Eakle on Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:44:12 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] King for a Day prop

On 3/9/05 12:07 PM, "Daniel Lepage" <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2005, at 2.35 PM, Jake Eakle wrote:
>
>> A number of dice is not a number of research points. If there were a
>> clause
>> saying "If you get more than 100 research points in this way [something
>> happens]" then that could be changed, but the die roll only determines
>> how
>> many you get, it is not an actual number of points. Another example
>> would be
>> if something said "You get research points equal to the number of
>> tildex you
>> own divided by 100" you couldn't change the 100. You can only change
>> numbers, not functions.
>
> But 3 RPs is a number of RPs. So if you get (3d10) RPs, minus 3 RPs,
> the three should be changeable.
No, you get ((3d10) - 3) RPs. The bit in parentheses is a function that
produces a numerical value which is then applied to the number of RPs you
get, just as "You get as many RPs as you have tildex" is a function that
looks at how many tildex you have, takes that number and then applies it to
how many RPs you get. It's not a static value, and wouldn't be even if it
were "You get as many RPs as you have tildex minus three". If the rule said
"You get 3d10 RPs and then lose 3 RPs" that would be different, but it
doesn't.

> BTW, when I was a player in Nomicron some time ago they had a nice way
> of doing this sort of thing - certain numbers throughout the ruleset
> were marked as "tweakable", and this sort of random numeric
> modification was only permitted on "tweakable" quantities. For example,
> our rules would say that "upon joining the game, every new player gets
> 1 (tweakable) point." and then that 1 could be altered by various other
> means.

That is a pretty cool idea. If you want to do the work of going through
every number in the ruleset and propping it tweakable, I'll vote for ya. We
could I guess just say something like "All non-function produced values of
Tildex, Points, and Research Points are tweakable", but that would prolly
sitll create some confusion somewhere, and would exclude a bunch of other
possibly interesting-to-tweak numbers.

--Personman