Daniel Lepage on Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:28:56 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] RainbowWolfe submits p2026

On Mar 7, 2005, at 9.58 PM, Martin R Crowther wrote:

-the moving
Traps are to be placed in any randomly determined location that is empty. Traps may also be moved this manner, or may move to any cube that is orthagonally adjacent to its previous position.

Ok, so that clarifies how the traps are replenished. But what do you mean by "moved [in] this manner"? Do you mean that they can be moved to any random empty cube? Also, is this a description of what to do when the rules say a trap moves, or is it a power players have, i.e., would I be able to move a trap as described above?

Sorry, was going to type it all out again but thought that was going too far - it'll get changed to:
{{
-the moving
Traps are to be placed in any randomly determined location that is
empty.
Traps may be moved to a randomly determined location, or may move to any cube that is
orthagonally adjacent to its previous position.
}}
I was considering that players could gain the power to move traps, possibly when they take a trap off the board. I didn't realise I was considering this when writing the original prop though.

The confusing thing is when you say "Traps may be moved...". That particular syntax is usually used to denote actions players can take. If the only way they ever move is due to the later sentence, then it would be clearer to leave out these sentences entirely, and later say "At the beginning of each checking period a random Trap is moved to a random location", and "whenever <conditions> are true, a trap is placed on a random empty location".

Each checking period one randomly chosen Trap is Moved.

Is it also random where it's moved to and which method of motion it uses?

{{
Each checking period one randomly chosen Trap is Moved to a random location, unless a Trap has already been moved this checking period. [[Traps are seen to have moved at the end of the previous checking period rather than the start of the next, although for convenience they will probably be moved when a check point is declared.]]
}}

That would work well.

-the dying
Any avatar entering a cube that contains a trap is killed [[feel free to enter your own descriptions of the death here]] and the player must decrease a single one of eir eir Stats by 1. The Trap is removed.
}}

{{
Any Avatar entering a cube that contains a trap is killed [[feel free to enter your own descriptions of the death here]], the Trap is removed, and the player must decrease a single one of eir Stats by 1 before creating a new Avatar.
}}

I like that a lot more.

air jet

-firing
The target Avatar must be orthagonally adjacent to, or sharing the same Cube as, the Avatar. With probability AvPower / (AvPower + AvSkill), a Jet Hits a randomly chosen cube orthagonally adjacent to the specified one. Otherwise, a Jet Hits the specified Cube. If the target shares the same cube then, for this one shot, AvSkill=AvSkill*2 (not exceeding the maximum AvSkill limit).
(The attributes refer to the Player Taking the Turn.)

It would be more readable to remove the last sentence and instead just say the shot hits a different square with probability "AvPower / (AvPower + 2*AvSkill)". Also, the first sentence suggests that an air jet should be fired at an Avatar, while the second says that it actually hits a Cube.

I'm trying to make hand to hand combat a possibility (Each cube may contain any number of Avatars), by changing the power at close range. And sorry, my mistake. Cut n paste! (And not realising what I wrote :S )

{{
-firing
The target Avatar must be orthagonally adjacent to, or sharing the
same Cube as, the Avatar. With probability AvPower / (AvPower +
AvSkill), a Jet Hits a randomly chosen cube orthagonally adjacent to
the specified one. Otherwise, a Jet Hits the specified Cube.
If the targeted Avatar shares the same cube as the firing Avatar then, for this one shot,
AvSkill=AvSkill*2 (not exceeding the maximum AvSkill limit).
(The attributes refer to the Player Taking the Turn.)
}}

This still says that fire at an Avatar, but then says "a Jet Hits the specified Cube". This would mean that if you fired at someone in the same Cube, everyone in the Cube would be hit, including you.

If the targeted Avatar shares the same cube then the targeted Avatar is propelled in the chosen direction with the same probability as the shot was taken with, otherwise the Avatar is propelled into a randomly chosen cube orthagonally adjacent.

What "chosen direction"? Who chooses?

{{
is propelled in the direction chosen by the targeting Avatar when the shot is declared, and with the same probability as the shot was taken...
}}

I'm not sure what you mean by "the same probability as the shot was taken". By this point, the probability that the shot was taken is 1 - we know that it already happened. You mean, if there's an x/y chance that it'll hit, then there's also an x/y chance that it pushes the target if it does? Or that it pushes if and only if it hits?

-hitting
When an entities' Avatar Fires a Jet of Flame, the Jet of Flame hits a cube containing a different Avatar, and that different Avatar Gets Destroyed, then the entity whose Avatar did the firing is said to have Toasted the entity whose Avatar was destroyed.

Maybe I'm missing this, but nothing seems to indicate under what circumstances the Jet of Flame would destroy an Avatar.

Neither did it for water (that i noticed), I was just following game convention on this one.

Oh, I see. I missed that the general statement about Jets will still be in effect. My fault.

Rock

Rocks are heavy, so a Avatar may only hold a rock if e posseses no other weapons. An Avatar may only hold one rock at a time.

-firing
The targeted Avatar must be orthogonally adjacent to, or sharing the same cube as, the Avatar. With probability AvPower / (AvPower + AvSkill) , a Rock Hits a randomly chosen Cube orthogonally adjacent to the specified one. Otherwise, a Rock Hits the specified Cube. If the target shares the same cube then, for this one shot, AvSkill=AvSkill*2 (not exceeding the maximum AvSkill limit).
(The Attributes refer to the Player Taking the Turn.)

Again, "AvPower/ (AvPower + 2*AvSkill)" would be more precise.

I'll just put 'yes' here. (That way I can find the change again later :D )

Actually, I'm wrong. I thought this said that for all Rocks, you had double AvSkill, in which case my phrasing would work better; I didn't realize that it was only when firing at somebody in the same Cube. Again, my fault.

If an Avatar has no way of targeting other Avatars then e is given a Water Jet upon entering the Arena. New Players are given a Water Jet automatically. Continuing players must declare they have no weapon when they create a new Avatar.

Some of the above Jets target cubes rather than Avatars, so one could argue that even having a Water Jet I could claim another on the grounds that none of my weapons are Avatar-based.

Good point.
{{
If an Avatar has no way of targeting any other Avatar or cube then e is given a Water Jet upon entering the Arena. New Players are given a Water Jet automatically. Continuing players must declare they have no weapon when they create a new Avatar.
}}
OR
{{
If an Avatar has no weapon within the Arena then e is given...

A Water Jet, Air Jet, Flame Thrower and a Rock are weapons
}}
-although I'd probably add this last line into the individual weapons descriptions. I did want to keep it so that if an AV had an arena tool e couldn't get a new weapon without buying one. That's just a limitation I was trying to add.

I like the second way better, just because classifying them all as weapons leads to more flexibility for future items (for example, we might have an item that can be used as though it were "any weapon").

with:
_Arena Weapons_
_Traps_
[[as listed above]]

I think Traps is distinct enough from everything else that it would be better off in its own rule.

Just trying to keep everything in one place. I read through the archives (good fun but took ages) and noticed that eventually The Grid became the cover all rule for most of what went on in it. Makes it easier than trying to piece it all together - although I suppose I could prop that later if it became an issue.

I've got mixed feelings about the old Grid rule, too...

--
Wonko

It's simple. It's just things with chalk on a board.
     -Helmut Vogel, when asked to explain a physics equation