Glotmorf on Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:33:18 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] Wonko submits p2023

On 3 Mar 2005 at 21:31, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Wonko has submitted a new proposal, p2023.
>
> ---------------------------------
> Proposal 2023/0: New Spells
> A Standard Proposal by Wonko
> Last modified on nweek 81, nday 9
>
> [[
> If the Spells prop passes, XXXX will be amended to the number of the
> new rule. Otherwise I'll amend the whole prop to something completely
> different. ]]
>
> Append to rule XXXX.B:
> {{
> B.3. Slight of Hand
>
> Slight of Hand is a spell costing 50 Research Points for level 1 and
> 10*N-10 points for each level above 1.
>
> A player may cast Slight of Hand at level N. To do so, e must choose X
> cards in eir own hand and X-1 cards in another player's hand, where X
> is a number between 1 and N/3, rounded down. 1d20 is rolled. If the
> roll is less than or equal to N, then the two sets of cards are
> swapped. Otherwise, the X cards in the caster's hand are discarded.

For N=1, N/3 is 1/3; taking the literal meaning of "between",
a number between 1 and 1/3 is less than 1, and rounded down
it's 0.  In this case, this spell is unusable until level 7,
where there's actually an integer between 1 and N/3.

Even if you're using a more liberal definition of "between",
such that the endpoints are valid choices, this is still
unusable until level 6, since with N anything less than 6 the
only integer in the range of 1 to N/3 is 1, and X-1 is 0,
which means one can only exchange 1 of one's own cards for 0
of someone else's.

And this time I'm not confused by a modulo operator.

-- Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt