Peter Cooper Jr. on Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:41:18 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: [auto] Peter votes

Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> That takes two nweeks (one to call a Vote of No Confidence, one to
> elect a new Minister), and also isn't always the solution.

Yeah, I guess that a vote of no confidence isn't quite enough, but I
still have a few objections to the proposal as worded.

- It seems like it'll be too easy to take a full nweek's salary from
  someone, since you get 5 points for each change to the game state.

- Working on any "change that should be presented in a Public Display"
  seems a little vague, since the rules aren't specific how changes
  relate to Public Displays and what "recognizing changes" means
  (although I suppose we all know what it's supposed to mean, I can
  foresee disputes about it since the rules aren't clear).

- I'm also not sure it works right with r1583.A.4 (specifically, that
  you can't do a duty more than once an nweek and that the player must
  be able to perform the updating-a-public-display Action already).

- It gives a player an incentive to not tell the Ministers if e
  notices a mistake after a Public Display update, so that e can go
  change it emself later and collect the perk.

- What happens when one starts doing the Backup Duty for a Society's
  minister? For instance, a minister might not want to recognize an
  Auto Action (which r578, last paragraph of part V allows), but then
  someone else could recognize it for them... Or what if a Society
  charter allows the Minister to make some choice in some other
  way... Could someone else jump in and take that choice if the
  original minister doesn't? This Duty might work just fine here, but
  I'm not completely sure.

So, something like it is a good idea, but I think it needs a couple
tweaks. I'm changing my vote on p1998 to Shelve.

--
Peter C.
"Every day I walk the fine line between laziness and efficiency."