Peter Cooper Jr. on Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:51:46 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: [auto] Zarpint submits p2001

Zarpint has submitted a new proposal, p2001:
> Proposal 2001/0: Conditions good
> In r1896, change the second paragraph
[... snip ...]
> to the following YES COND delimited text:
>
> YES COND
> An Outsider may take a game action by stating that e does something
> conditionally [[As in, if my score is higher than 20, I do X]] or by
> stating that e does something X times, even if X is not explicitly
> stated [[As in, I do X until my score hits 100]], provided that the
> entity responsible for recognizing the action can easily figure out
> whether the condition holds or how many times the Outsider performs
> the action.
> YES COND
>
> [[The logic here: "I do X until Y" is a type of conditional, and it's
> currently legal as long as the entity responsible can figure it out,
> so the same should be true for "If X, then I do Y". This change allows
> the entity to say "I can't easily figure this condition out" without
> having to solve the Halting Problem.]]

Well, we don't have explicitly defined that entities need to recognize
actions at all. The rules merely state how the game state can be
changed, and there are entities responsible for showing that
state... So this might need a little rewording.

Also, I might add something about who decides if one can "easily
figure out" a conditional, or else we're going to end up with CFIs
about whether a conditional is easy or not.

--
Peter C.
"Uncle Cosmo ... why do they call this a word processor?"