Jeremy Cook on Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:48:35 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] Squid, take 2

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 06:26:02PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2004, at 6.13 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:
> > Aaargh... Black Holes don't destroy themselves. Doesn't your doctrine
> > of
> > strict interpretation even allow you to interpret "any piece on the
> > same
> > square as a Black Hole" to exclude the Black Hole itself?
>
> In order for that to exclude the Black Hole, you'd have to convince me
> that either the Black Hole isn't a piece, or it isn't on the same
> square as a Black Hole...

In English, "any" is often used to mean "any other", when it's clear
that a strict interpretation of "any" isn't what's intended. For
instance, "anything would be better than your interpretation" is
understood not as a contradiction, but as saying "anything else...".

Zarpint