Daniel Lepage on Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:05:12 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] PlayerPersonman submits p1912/0

On Oct 3, 2004, at 5.00 PM, Jake Eakle wrote:

A note about this prop, and a question about Song Form:

The fact that I actually get a few more points this way than if I had
written it in tanka form and gotten the Form Creation bonus is a little
weird, and might warrant a rethinking of that award. It seems that in most cases, simply writing the Form Creation Prop in void form will usually net
you more points than writing it in it's own form, at least if it has a
reward of fewer than 10 points, which all the other poetry forms do.

You won't actually get any bonus points for your proposal as it stands. The restrictions laid out by Limerick form and Void form apply to the entire prop; having a rule within the prop that conforms doesn't suffice. In your prop, the line 'Add section A.6 to rule 437:' contains an 'e' and doesn't fit in any limerick, so you don't meet the requirements for either form.

As for the Form Creation Bonus, I wonder if we should do away with it entirely. It's not too hard to propose a rule in a poetic form, but it is hard to do it well (consider how ugly the Song Form and Void Form sections are). Because of this, most Poetic props do not create rules or make large changes to them, and I don't think we should be encouraging the creation of props that do.

The rule for Song Form reads:

This form's got a nifty Bonus:
Ten score points is the norm!

Does this mean you get 200 points? Or 10? It seems it should be 200, but that seems just a tad high, compared to the others (a max of 40 for a 200+
word void prop!)

If it is supposed to be 10, something should be done about it.

It took me awhile to figure out where this '200 points' figure was coming from :) I guess it never occurred to me to read it that way.

The intent here was to give not "10 score" points, but 10 "score points"; the word 'score' indicates that these are score points, as opposed to points of bandwidth, Respect points, points of Entropy, or any of the dozens of things that could have been called 'points' throughout this game's history.

----------------------------------
Proposal 1912/0: More Poetry
A Standard Proposal by PlayerPersonman
Last modified on nweek 70, nday 4

Add section A.6 to rule 437:

{
Tanka form:

Thirty, plus six among six,
Is a format to which Tanka sticks
A bonus of two
Is small, but will do-
You can jot down a tanka right quick.

[[
To clarify: Tanka is a japanese form of poetry consisting of 31 syllables (six among six meaning six distributed among six entities, a fancy, e-less way of saying divided by), arranged in five lines of varying length. Examples and
history can be found at http://www.americantanka.com/.

Even with your explanation, I still don't understand the meaning of 'six among six'.

--
Wonko

"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever"
     -Anonymous