athena on Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:56:09 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [s-d]Roster Stuff

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:31:56AM -0400, Daniel Peter Lepage wrote:
> Zarpint wrote:
>
> > You don't actually delete the fund and other game objects, just the
> > rules that declare their existence. They probably still have some sort
> > of nebulous existence.
>
> I thought we'd had a CFI about such things, but I can't find it in the archive. We did discuss it at one point, though, and I believe we reached the conclusion that once an object ceases to be defined by the rules it ceases to exist for all intents and purposes. Specifically, the text of r13 makes it clear that to be a Game Object, a thing must be described by the rules, so repealing the defining rule causes a thing to cease to be a Game Object.

Not so clear to me. The object existed at one point. At no point was it
ever destroyed, though the Rules mentioning it were repealed. There have
been proposals that specifically deleted objects after repealing the
rules, suggesting that deleting the rule doesn't delete the object. I'm
not sure that it is no longer a Game Object.

> > What about the Merc, OrcTech, Reality, The Underground Society, vSOI,
> > vSET, and WBE? I don't think they've all been officially disbanded. The
> > Rule for the football teams is gone along with the Grid, but do the Teams
> > still exist? Ditto for the Island.
>
> Reality, WBE, the Merc, and The Underground Society exist. Glotmorf sacked OrcTech, vSOI was disbanded by p1578. vSET had only the Baron as a member (the 'secret member' thing didn't actually work, because the rules require em to say something when the society accepts a new member, and e never did) so vSET died with the Baron. The Teams and the Island might as well not exist; existence in this case is poorly defined.

I agree that it is poorly defined.

> > Araltaln and theta never had Mentors assigned. Is anyone mentoring
> > anyone else?
>
> Not that I know of. Didn't Araltaln get Glotmorf?

No, Phil did, according to the Roster.

According to r746, both those Players have, or had, Mentors, though they
were never assigned. What is the actual gamestate here?

(The point here is that just having a Deputy doesn't resolve things. The
gamestate is a mess whether we have an Admin or not.)

> > It also appears that our Body of Philosophy has disappeared.
>
> I can ask Dave about that. I don't know if you noticed, but he moved everything from nomic.net to bnomic.org; the philosophies probably missed the copy. Not that it'll matter in a few ndays.

Wonko, you are awfully sanguine about that prop passing. And it does
matter, because voting can't start without all the public displays
updated, and the Philosophies need to be displayed. (I point out under
r1586 that that public display is not up to date.)

Besides which, the Philosophies of the players influence voting, and we
might wish to change for the purposes of voting, so it's important that
they're up. I at least don't have a backup.

Zarpint