Daniel Peter Lepage on Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:31:58 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re: [s-d]Roster Stuff

Zarpint wrote:

> We don't have a Ministry to keep track of the Roster or Ruleset under
> your prop, although you and I can do that.

Sure we do. It's called, "The Ministry of the Admin and eir Deputies".

> You don't actually delete the fund and other game objects, just the
> rules that declare their existence. They probably still have some sort
> of nebulous existence.

I thought we'd had a CFI about such things, but I can't find it in the archive. We did discuss it at one point, though, and I believe we reached the conclusion that once an object ceases to be defined by the rules it ceases to exist for all intents and purposes. Specifically, the text of r13 makes it clear that to be a Game Object, a thing must be described by the rules, so repealing the defining rule causes a thing to cease to be a Game Object.

Whether you choose to believe that it "exists" in some nebulous sense is up to you and your Philosophy, but does not affect the game in any way.

> What about the Merc, OrcTech, Reality, The Underground Society, vSOI,
> vSET, and WBE? I don't think they've all been officially disbanded. The
> Rule for the football teams is gone along with the Grid, but do the Teams
> still exist? Ditto for the Island.

Reality, WBE, the Merc, and The Underground Society exist. Glotmorf sacked OrcTech, vSOI was disbanded by p1578. vSET had only the Baron as a member (the 'secret member' thing didn't actually work, because the rules require em to say something when the society accepts a new member, and e never did) so vSET died with the Baron. The Teams and the Island might as well not exist; existence in this case is poorly defined.

> Araltaln and theta never had Mentors assigned. Is anyone mentoring
> anyone else?

Not that I know of. Didn't Araltaln get Glotmorf?

> vSOI and VSET are still listed. Am I right that BvS disbanded them?

See above.

The CashBox was destroyed by Refresh Prop 1 of the previous emergency. See http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/dpl33/bnomic for my records from that emergency (I was admin).

> It also appears that our Body of Philosophy has disappeared.

I can ask Dave about that. I don't know if you noticed, but he moved everything from nomic.net to bnomic.org; the philosophies probably missed the copy. Not that it'll matter in a few ndays.

--
Wonko
Deputy Administrator