Daniel Peter Lepage on Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:52:57 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re: The Direct Approach.

bd wrote:

> > I don't know a lot about the unidiff syntax... how do you tell it what to replace in a way that's typo-proof?
>
> You use the diff utility.

Oh, I see. I thought you were suggesting that we'd all actually write out the diffs manually, which seemed kind of pointless.

So what you mean is that we'd have players write down what they wanted rules to look like, diff them against the current versions, and submit the diffs?

Why not just let them submit whatever they wrote down before diffing it, and use a replace-rule or replace-subsection tool instead? If diff works properly, then the two should work identically, and the latter is much more readable.

--
Wonko