Daniel Peter Lepage on Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:36:59 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re: The Direct Approach.

bd wrote:

> Or just hooking the script up to CGI and giving it the move directly,
> which would be easier than parsing wiki markup probably.

Well, the nice thing about storing it on the wiki is that if something gets off, or if a proposal decides to do something very strange to the state of things, anyone can go and tweak the wiki to bring it up to date. That was the point of the Clock script I wrote - anyone can turn the clock on or off or change the ndate/wdate just by hitting 'edit', so that if a prop says to stop or change the clock, or if Joel's server goes haywire and messes up the time, it's trivial to set things straight.
    For something like the Grid, the automation becomes harder; but trying to write a CGI script that can sensibly read in people's actions and change the gridstate is harder still. I admit that the former will probably limit the sorts of things that can be done on the Grid, as some things might be too difficult to do by hand but too complicated to do by machine without writing a complete grid-tracker anyway; but the latter never worked, despite a couple players trying to write such things.

--
Wonko