Daniel Lepage on Sun, 30 May 2004 20:27:00 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Voting Tokens

On May 30, 2004, at 9.15 PM, Craig wrote:

I propose the following on a mailing list that actually exists:

{{
<snip>
 {{
B.5. The Voting Gremlin, a.k.a. Diebold
There exists a Gremlin known as the Voting Gremlin. If at any time the
Voting Gremlin has been in Hiding for at least two ndays, it becomes Active.

Every time players vote on a Ballot, the Voting Token whose Serial Number is equal to the Nth Gremlin Number, where N is equal to the number of Voting Tokens in existence, is chosen. This Voting Token is the Irregular Voting
Token until voting closes on that ballot.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with Diebold at all... do you mean that this only happens if Diebold is active?

 }}
Create a rule, entitled __Vote Nullification__ with the following text:
 {{
For each ballot item on which the posessor of the Irregular Voting Token votes Yes or No, the number of votes of the polar opposite of eir vote is considered as one less than the true value. [[So if the posessor of the IVT votes YES and there were three NO votes, it is counted as only two NO votes.
Yes, this may mean that the number of votes in one direction is below
zero.]]

This is ambiguous: you need to distinguish between normal votes and bonus votes (from philosophies, etc.). At the moment there's no real difference, but if the Legislative Veto passes (which I think it will), this will be an issue. For example, imagine that exactly half of all players vote against prop X, and the other half vote for it; the players for it cast two bonus votes, and those against it cast one. Imagine also that I have the Irregular Voting Token and I voted for X, so that one of the No votes is ignored. If we ignore the bonus No vote, the legislative veto still fails the prop, but if we ignore one of the others, we suddenly find that less than half of the players have successfully voted against it and the veto doesn't happen.

It might be helpful if you defined the difference between normal votes and bonus votes in general.

--
Wonko

"Tradition is what you resort to when you don't have the time or the money to do it right."
     -Kurt Herbert Alder