Zarpint on Sun, 30 May 2004 20:25:41 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Voting Tokens

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Craig wrote:

> I propose the following on a mailing list that actually exists:
>
> {{
> Create a rule, entitled __Voting Tokens__ with the following text:
>  {{
> There exist a finite number of Voting Tokens. Each Voting Token has
> associated with it a Value. If a player is in posession of a Voting Token,
> any other player may give em a number of Tildex greater than the Value of
> that Voting Token and immediately acquire it. The amount of Tildex spent
> becomes the new Value of the Voting Token. Each Voting Token also has a
> unique Serial Number.
>
> Whenever a new player joins the game of B Nomic, e gains a Voting Token with
> a Value of 0 and a Serial Number higher than the then-highest Voting Token
> Serial Number by 1.
>  }}
> Create one voting token with a value of zero in the posession of each
> player, each with a Value of 2 and a Serial Number equal to one more than
> the number of players whose names come alphabetically before the player
> receiving the Voting Token. [[So the first player in the alphabet gets
> Voting Token 1, the second gets Voting Token 2, et cetera]]. For the
> purposes of this action, all numbers come before the letter A.
> Modify rule 256 [[Gremlins]] by adding the following text to the end of it:
>  {{
> B.5. The Voting Gremlin, a.k.a. Diebold
> There exists a Gremlin known as the Voting Gremlin. If at any time the
> Voting Gremlin has been in Hiding for at least two ndays, it becomes Active.
>
> Every time players vote on a Ballot, the Voting Token whose Serial Number is
> equal to the Nth Gremlin Number, where N is equal to the number of Voting
> Tokens in existence, is chosen. This Voting Token is the Irregular Voting
> Token until voting closes on that ballot.
>  }}
> Create a rule, entitled __Vote Nullification__ with the following text:
>  {{
> For each ballot item on which the posessor of the Irregular Voting Token
> votes Yes or No, the number of votes of the polar opposite of eir vote is
> considered as one less than the true value. [[So if the posessor of the IVT
> votes YES and there were three NO votes, it is counted as only two NO votes.
> Yes, this may mean that the number of votes in one direction is below
> zero.]]
> }}

You know about Shubik's dollar auction, where you can auction a dollar off
for an arbitrarily large amount? The rule is that the second-largest bidder
has to pay the amount of the bid to the house. So if I bid 99 cents and you
bid 100, it's "better" for me to bid $1.01, and lose a cent, than lose 99
cents - but then of course it keeps escalating.

This prop just made me think of that. I think the power of the Tokens should
increase as the Value does - the highest Value token subtracts two, or
something. It'd be kind of a similar situation.

Zarpint

--
Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."