Glotmorf on 1 Feb 2004 05:40:33 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Reality Corrected

On 31 Jan 2004 at 23:25, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2004, at 11:20 PM, Zarpint Jeremy Cook wrote:
>

> > My question for Bob: Is the Nomic Game contained within Reality the
> > same
> > game as the one we're playing, or just an identical copy with the same
> > name?
>
> It's the same, of course.
>
> > If the first, they both claim to contain the other, and since the
> > Reality
> > charter was posted in B Nomic, B Nomic's rules take precedence, and
> > B Nomic is not part of Reality. But we knew that anyway.
>
> Nothing in the Statutes says that B Nomic's rules can take
> precedence... and B Nomic never says it's not part of the Club anyway.

R578.II: "Societies may only take actions which the rules
permit them to."  The rules, having established mechanisms for
change and self-regulation, don't permit a society to have
control over that.

Also, from r578.V: "The Administrator may choose to refuse any change
to a Charter (other than one that removes all contents of it) or any Auto
Action for any reason, including but not limited to it causing confusion, it
putting an undue burden on the Administrator, it breaking the game, it
causing a paradox or unknown state of the game, or it having unintended
consequences."

Offhand, I'd say A containing B containing A qualifies as a paradox, it being
subject to Wonko's whims constitutes breaking the game (hey, you couldn't
accept ME as a beneavolent tyrant), and I don't indend to tolerate the
consequence of Wonko absorbing B Nomic bloblike into an entity under eir
own control.  And, yes, I'd say the creation of a charter constitutes a change,
since it's going from nonexistent to existent.

Now...what I might actually tolerate is the idea that Reality contains a full
working model of B Nomic, to which we can make proto-changes before
introducing them to the full game.  So, yeah, the current B Nomic ruleset
might count as an initial state of the B Nomic subgame of reality, but not the
actual game.

Okay, Wonko...You can say "February Fool!" now.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt