Baron von Skippy on 21 Nov 2003 04:03:39 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Stone Swapping

>The big problem with backstabbing is that people will remember.
>Theoretically, I could backstab all my allies, stated or undeclared,
>whenever I wanted, but then I'd have very little chance of ever
>entering into an alliance with anyone again, as nobody would trust me
>not to stab them too.
-Well, I don't trust anyone in this game (the old guard, at least) farther than I can throw them, but that's just me. That, and I believe strongly in "Do unto others."-

>What we could perhaps make use of is some sort of alias mailing
>system... each player could be assigned an alias from a given set, such
>as {"Red","Green","Blue","Mauve", etc.}; a script could then be devised
>that, upon receiving an email from me with subject PGo:Blue:Wanna
>Backstab Turquoise?, would look me up in its table to discover that I'm
>Green, lookup whoever happens to be Blue, say, Sagitta, and Sagitta
>would get a message from the script with the subject PGo:Green:Wanna
>Backstab Turquoise?; e'd know it came from Green and talked about
>Turquoise, and the PGo map would show stones owned by Green, Blue, and
>Turquoise, but e and I would never know which player was behind each
>color.
>
>A few modifications would allow this to hold multiple sets of aliases
>at once, so one subgame might be using {Red, Green, Blue, etc.} while
>another used {France, Italy, New Zealand, etc.} and another had
>{Falcon, Eagle, Hawk, Titmouse, etc.}.
>
>And then some subgames could allow things like grey and black press (to
>steal some Diplomacy terms), where messages can be sent anonymously, or
>even with faked senders or fake recipient lists.
-Oh, now this could be /very/ interesting... note, though, that someone would have to know who sent all the messages, so if someone grey-press spammed everyone, their ass could be beaten... privately, so as not to reveal their identity.-

>(This is an idea that originated a while ago during a conversation with
>another player about how a game like Diplomacy could be made into a
>subgame; I also got some ideas from reading about various online
>Diplomacy hosting tools, like the DPjudge at www.diplom.org, which has
>all these features built in to the games themselves)
-Now that is a sweet game. I like how you can't do anything without some alliances. That makes for a lot of fun in this game.-

>There are two big problems that I can see with this sort of anonymity:
>1) New players - if a new player joins B Nomic, and then joins PGo, and
>at the same time off-yellow pieces appear for the first time, it won't
>be too hard to guess who's off-yellow
-No new players until the game ends, then. And no quitting, either - if you stop doing anything, you'll just get beaten out of the game, I suppose, and that's like quitting sort of.-

>2) Victory - if Chartreuse wins the subgame and suddenly bd is 200
>points richer, it is again not too difficult to deduce the identity of
>Chartreuse.
-Secondary accounts for points. Dave knows which is which. When your player account and your secondary account added together are > 1000, you win.-

>OTOH, grudges and inherent mistrust can make things more interesting,
>so perhaps this sort of system isn't needed just for backstabbing; but
>I'd still love to see a subgame with Black Press.
-It can be done... it might not be the easiest thing ever, but it can be done.-

[[BvS]]