Glotmorf on 3 Oct 2003 03:38:54 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 50 BALLOT

On 2 Oct 2003 at 16:31, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> >> It's debatable whether the Baron could have used your proxy.
> >> Although r208/2 states that the holder of a proxy may cast votes in
> >> the name of the proxy donor, it also states that the donor is
> >> considered to have cast those votes, which, since you were On
> >> Leave, seems like a violation of r15.A, which states that a player
> >> who is On Leave cannot vote.
> >>
> > -Well, which takes precedence? We do have that system for a reason.-
>
> r15 takes precedence, by virtue of a lower id number and higher
> chutzpah. But it's not clear that there's a conflict; one says you can
> cast votes in eir name, and we'll consider those votes to have come
> from em; whereas the other says e can't vote... so one could argue
> that either you can't do anything because e can't vote, or that you
> can vote but those votes won't be considered to have come from em, or
> that the votes, while being considered to have been cast by em,
> weren't actually cast by em, so it's legal...

I'd opt for the latter...that a player on leave can't cast a
vote since that would be an action, but a player that has that
player's proxy can cast a vote in eir name, and it's
considered to have been cast by the on-leave player.  Not
considered to be cast, but to have been cast, as in a fait
accompli -- it's done, it happened, regardless of how.

Though, as it says in a rule somewhere between the two, a vote
cast by someone holding X's proxy isn't a vote that X actually
casts, and therefore X's Activity doesn't go up.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower