Baron von Skippy on 21 Sep 2003 18:46:49 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Dodgerule

>I've been toying with a subgame idea, and want to know what the general
>populace thinks. The game is tentatively titled Legislative Gunfight,
>and the general premise is that the players are on a small map, say
>5x5, on which they move around and create new rules. New rules, once
>created, can be thrown at other players, sort of like insta-rules.
>There'd be some way to dodge thrown rules (haven't really worked that
>bit out yet); but if you don't dodge it and it hits you, it then
>applies to you for the rest of the round.
>	To win, you have to be the only player left who's able to create new
>rules.
>
>Rules could be created like, "this player may only make rules in Haiku
>form", or "this player may not move towards the left of the board while
>Dodging a rule".
>
>Some set of restrictions would have to be imposed on the contents of
>the rules - obviously "This player can't do anything" would be too
>powerful.
>
>The problem is, I can't come up with any reasonable way of ruling out
>the really powerful ones while encouraging really good ones.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions?

-"No rule may prevent another player from creating rules" would be a good one, or you could designate certain actions (rule-making, throwing, dodging) "immutable," and say "no rule can prevent a player from performing an immutable action." So I could, for example, impose a three-word limit on your rules, or cut your range to one square, but since I'm not stopping you, it's okay.-

[[BvS]]