Craig on 21 Sep 2003 16:58:54 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Puzzle Games

>> >and the general premise is that the players are on a small map, say
>> >5x5, on which they move around and create new rules. New rules, once
>>
>> That could get a bit crowded.

>Oh, I dunno...I've got five people failing to find each other on an 8x8...

>> Hey, how about making a deliberately crowded game based on those
>> puzzles where you slide the pieces around? Maybe you gain a point
>> every checkpoint in which you move and you lose a point in every
>> checkpoint in which you can't move?

>We could go a step beyond that...Ever hear of a game called Master
Labyrinth?  It's
>a board game with tiles that show pieces of corridors.  All but one of them
fit in a grid;
>each turn, a player takes the extra tile and uses it to shift a row over by
one, freeing
>up a new tile.  Anyone and anything on the shifted tiles is shifted with
them; anyone
>and anything on the freed-up tile wraps around to the other side.

We could do several such subgames - that's what INH is for, right?

I suggest the following, but am not entirely sure how to incorporate it as
an INH subgame. I encourage Wonko to help me.

All players wishing to join inform the game's moderator, who places them in
a grid. They are then all shown the full grid, and anyone may move into an
adjacent empty space at any time. Each checkpoint, all players who have
moved at least once during the checkpoint receive a point, and all others
lose a point. No player may move if e was the most recent player to make a
move, nor may any player move into a space which e has occupied during the
past checkpoint.

The grid should be the smallest size square or near-square that fits all the
players and at least one empty space. So if only 5 people want to play, it
will be 2x3, meaning that there is only one empty space.

Another possibility might be to assign people to desired neighbors, and give
or take points based on how many of their desired neighbors they are
adjacent to. The neighbors should be chosen such that the players can
arrange themselves in a partial grid with all players next to their desired
neighbors, but they should then be scattered such that nobody starts out
next to their desired neighbors. If the arrangement was made right, they
could never all be next to the right people (cf Sam Loyd's "fifteeen"
puzzle).

I would love to play in either of the above games.

 -- Teucer

"Maybe there ought to be a motion on having immortality investigated for
Robin, so that he can serve as the secretary forever."
 -Jay Kominek

ragnarok@xxxxxxxxx
teucer@xxxxxxxxxx