Daniel Lepage on 19 Jul 2003 05:02:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Foomp

On Friday, July 18, 2003, at 10:42  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

Either is a valid interpretation according to the rules; game custom, precedent, common sense, spirit of the game, etc. all suggest that it
works the way we've been using it.

Nothing stops the value from being a real number, but the rules do
explicitly state that it can be "any real number" as well. A good case
can
be made that the string is allowed. I'm not sure how I would judge a
CFJ on
it, but it isn't obvious that BvS is worng.

I agree that it could be interpreted that way; but I think any rational
judge would have to interpret it the other way.

-I wonder how many lawyers have said that same thing in how many lawsuits in how many courtrooms, and been wrong? Anyway, if you want a rational judge, you're looking at something like a 50-50 chance in this game.-

Besides which, merely saying that it can take on that value doesn't
mean you can set it to that value. If it said that it was possible to
move to that value, then you could; but the rules also say that, say,
your votes *can* take on the value 'yes' on all my props; that doesn't
mean that I can set them to that value.

-If I'm wrong, though, so are you. I'm using your reasoning. So either you don't win or this hole in the rules starts off another SOE. You know, I'm okay with either? Sure, SOEs are a pain, but better that we fix it than that we have undefined values, you know?-

You're not using my reasoning. I'm not sure what exactly you're using, but it certainly isn't mine, and I'm not yet convinced that it's reasoning.

My logic was that since we're permitted to move along the 'score' axis, I can.

This does not mean that we can move to an undefined point. That would be like if I tried to give you "an unspecified number" of points - the action would fail, because the text I sent is not specific enough to determine what action I was trying to take.

--
Wonko