Craig on 15 Jul 2003 13:56:01 -0000

RE: RE: [spoon-discuss] Proto-prop: Aes Sedai

>>In fact, now that our name has been bandied about in a magazine with
national circulation, we might want to NOT acknowledge Jordan's
>copyright, and in fact have nothing to do with the books, on the off-chance
that someone decides to sue.

>-Okay, I got it.

>http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

>Basically, it looks like we're okay as long as we stick to the concepts as
opposed to direct quotes, as long as any quotes we do use are
>parodies or commentaries (the bracketed paragraph at the beginning of the
proto-prop is fine), and as long as we don't use too much in
>relation to the total size of the copyrighted work... er... let's see, call
it a five page rule after major additions, and Jordan has
>written about 8,000 pages of WoT, with another 1,500 or so on the way...
yeah, we're fine. Oh, and we can't make any money off it or we get >landed
on with both feet. So much for me selling copies of the ruleset on eBay...-

I'm on another mailing list where the legalities of copyright have come up,
also. Two facts have become particularly relevant:

1) What is and is not fair use is not predictable - there are factors "to be
considered" in finding something to be fair use but there are no acid tests
that can be applied.

2) Most people are not in a position to defend themselves if there is any
legal difficulty over such a thing. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether we
are right or not, it only matters whether Jordan thinks we're worng.

In other words, don't do anything that isn't blindingly obviously okay.

Score one for my c-p-p, yay!

 -- Teucer

"Paginate my subjective reality, baby!"
 -Taliesin