Baron von Skippy on 15 Jul 2003 17:26:01 -0000

RE: RE: [spoon-discuss] Proto-prop: Aes Sedai

>>>In fact, now that our name has been bandied about in a magazine with
>national circulation, we might want to NOT acknowledge Jordan's
>>copyright, and in fact have nothing to do with the books, on the off-chance
>that someone decides to sue.
>>>
>>-Okay, I got it.
>
>>http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
>
>>Basically, it looks like we're okay as long as we stick to the concepts as
>opposed to direct quotes, as long as any quotes we do use are
>>parodies or commentaries (the bracketed paragraph at the beginning of the
>proto-prop is fine), and as long as we don't use too much in
>>relation to the total size of the copyrighted work... er... let's see, call
>it a five page rule after major additions, and Jordan has
>>written about 8,000 pages of WoT, with another 1,500 or so on the way...
>yeah, we're fine. Oh, and we can't make any money off it or we get >landed
>on with both feet. So much for me selling copies of the ruleset on eBay...-
>
>I'm on another mailing list where the legalities of copyright have come up,
>also. Two facts have become particularly relevant:
>
>1) What is and is not fair use is not predictable - there are factors "to be
>considered" in finding something to be fair use but there are no acid tests
>that can be applied.
>
>2) Most people are not in a position to defend themselves if there is any
>legal difficulty over such a thing. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether we
>are right or not, it only matters whether Jordan thinks we're worng.
>
>In other words, don't do anything that isn't blindingly obviously okay.
>
>Score one for my c-p-p, yay!

-On the other hand... hands up, everyone in the house who makes money off the WoT series and is likely to sue us if this idea becomes part of the rules? Anybody? No? Okay.

Also, as long as we don't make a dime off it, there's hardly any point to quelling us and this is probably close enough to fanfic to get by unnoticed.-

[[BvS]]