Glotmorf on 11 Jul 2003 14:38:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Wonko's little world(s)

Okay, I misrepresented Wonko's prop in an email recently.  Let me rephrase...

Wonko is attempting to create an "environment" rule, which establishes a general class of containers of "locations".  He's also trying to create a "locations" rule, which establishes a general class of places where objects can be put within an environment.  Neither rule tries to impose any sort of structure on environments, though locations must be uniquely identified within environments so that one presumably can say an object in an environment is at a particular location.

But the exact relationship of locations to each other is not defined, except inasmuch as it is said that movement between locations is generally possible.  So that relationship would most likely be defined through whatever method for uniquely identifying locations is used within an environment.  For grid-style arrangement of locations, two integers can be attached to each location, with movement involving calculating the integers identifying an adjacent location.  For Monopoly-style movement, locations would probably be identified by a single integer, with the highest-value location connecting to the lowest-value one.

As far as that goes, we could have The Relationship Game, where each location gets two names attached to it, so one could traverse from (Barney, Wilma) to (Fred, Wilma) to (Fred, Ethel) to (Lucy, Ethel).

All this, in a general sense, is a Good Thing(tm).  One of the problems with mining the grid was that three-dimensionality wasn't cleanly spelled out.  "Location" was used interchangably with "square" until "square" got defined (though not everywhere) as a stack of locations.  If we anchor down a definition of locations, we could then presumably do whatever we wanted with dimensions and coordinates and all.  We could add a third or even a fourth coordinate, use attributes like how MUSHes link rooms, use formulaic teleportation between locations, whatever.

I like it.

I just think the creation of The Grid should wait until The [other] Grid is deactivated or finally destroyed.

Well, that, and I'd like to see player-created Environments with charters like Societies, but I can propose that myself.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower