Glotmorf on 29 Jun 2003 03:07:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Subgame Rules

On 6/29/03 at 3:51 AM SkArcher wrote:

>I propose the following
>
>{{__Subgame Rules__
>
>Any Subgames which are held within B Nomic must be the application of a
>single rule: The circumstances prevailing
>in the state of the subgame can only be affected as described in the rule
>which defines that subgame.
>
>[[The idea here is to make all subgames have just one rule, hopefully
>preventing the sprawling mass of rules and
>exceptions that was the grid]]
>
>}}

I tried to fix some of the sprawl with the "Less is More" movement.  After a while, though, Dave got worried because he's got the rules stored in an SQL database, with one rule per record.  Granted, the upper limit for some text fields in mySQL is somewhere around 32k, but still it could get unwieldy.

Personally I think the database should be restructured to contain subsections as records, with a separate table serving as a numbered object index.  But the technical mechanics of tracking the gamestate are a matter external to the game itself.

Perhaps what really needs looking at is the keyword rule, so that there are keywords that provide function rather than just commentary.  For example, perhaps all subgame-related rules should have the "subgame" keyword, and all rules related to a particular subgame should have a keyword for that subgame.  Otherwise your proposal might prevent rules that affect multiple subgames.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower