Daniel Lepage on 22 Jun 2003 06:40:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Proxy Fixes

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 01:47  AM, Adam Hill wrote:

--- "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't buy that. If a bunch of people vote together, it overwhelms everyone anyway. If a bunch of people arrange to vote together via the actions of a single person, that's not different from everyone voting together. The giving of proxies has to be done on the public forum, and the possession of proxies is recorded on the roster. It's not something that's going to accidentally sneak up on people. If someone has a majority of votes through proxy, it's because a majority of people are willing to vote all the same way.

						Glotmorf

Yes, but that's assuming that a proxy giver agrees completely with the proxy receiver, which is practically impossible. For example, bd and I usually vote the same way, so if I needed to proxy I would proxy to em. But there are always going to be votes where bd and I disagree. If everyone gives their votes to bd, and bd doesn't agree with all of those people on one particular vote out of many, then that screws up the majority system. It doesn't mean that there's an alliance, or that bd is scheming; it means that popular opinion gives way to compromised opinion. The one-proxy-per-person rule is standard in legislative arenas, and I think it would work better in our paradigm as well.

But even with your prop in place, people will still be able to "give" their proxies to people already having them using automation scripts. Also, your prop would mean that I could stop you from giving your proxy to bd by giving him mine; I'd still be able to override any votes e cast for me, so I wouldn't lose anything, and meanwhile your proxy would be wasted.

Also, you might want to replace "Players" with "Entities"; otherwise a cover society could effectively get around the ban perfectly legally.

--
Wonko