Daniel Lepage on 9 May 2003 00:28:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Society Creation

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 12:43  AM, Glotmorf wrote:

Mmm.... but Bandwidth doesn't technically come in possessable chunks;
it's just a variable. The sentence "Any player may transfer a point of
Bandwidth from emself to any society." can be construed to mean, any
player may decrease eir Bandwidth by X to cause target society's
Bandwidth to increase by X; this doesn't imply that the converse is
true.

By your argument, it seems that any scalar quantity ought to be
transferable, just by claiming that we possess individual 'unit chunks'
of them... but I don't see why we should be able to claim that...

Perhaps that's true for most scalar quantities. Problem is, r578 talks about bandwidth in terms of "unit chunks"; "Any player may transfer a point of bandwidth from emself to any society": this measures bandwidth in unit chunks of points. Plus the rule says societies may "possess" bandwidth; if we can transfer it to an entity that possesses it, that implies we possess it first.

We do possess Bandwidth; but that doesn't mean it's an object. You can possess wine as well, but you can't give somebody 'a wine'. If you had a *bottle* of wine, you could give it away; similarly, if bandwidth came in 'unit chunks' (like WC's old Proposal Chit prop), then it would be covered by the object transferance rule; but without objects of bandwidth to give, "Societies may possess any objects that players can legally possess" doesn't apply.

--
Wonko