Glotmorf on 5 May 2003 04:45:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Veni, Vidi, Vacancy

On 5/5/03 at 12:30 AM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>>> "Penguin" is never defined. There is no such thing as a Penguin. There
>>> is "the act of becoming a Penguin", which is defined to be the same as
>>> "the act of becoming a Toad"; "the act of becoming a Toad" causes the
>>> object taking the action to end up as a toad.
>>
>> You lost the word "effects" in there, as in "the effects of becoming a
>> toad".  Identical "effects" don't mean identical objects, or even
>> identical classes of objects.  The effect of a hedgehog curling up
>> into a ball is identical to the effect of the growth of a horse
>> chestnut: you get this round prickly thing.  But a hedgehog and a
>> horse chestnut aren't interchangable (except possibly in the context
>> of throwing either one at someone).
>
>My mistake. That last paragraph should have read:
>"Penguin" is never defined. There is no such thing as a Penguin. There
>is "the act of becoming a Penguin", which is defined to have exactly
>the same effects as "the act of becoming a Toad"; "the act of becoming
>a Toad" has the effect of causing the object taking the action to end
>up as a toad; therefore, "the act of becoming a Penguin", having the
>same effect on the object, also has the effect of causing the object
>taking the action to end up as a toad.

Now we're back to the logical contradiction.  To say that a player "becomes a penguin" (as opposed to "begins to become a penguin", "has a predisposition to become a penguin", "takes some but not all of the necessary steps toward becoming a penguin") indicates a process that has as its end being a penguin, not a toad.  And since a penguin is in fact defined as something a player can become as the result of the triggering of an IID, as opposed to all the toad-making possibilities that define the existence of a toad, "penguin" and "toad" are two different things.

So the rule that states where penguins come from regulates the existence of penguinship, even if all other effects of toadsmanship carry over.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower