Glotmorf on 29 Mar 2003 03:24:01 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] Re: [spoon-discuss] Lots of stuff

On 3/28/03 at 9:15 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Okay...I'll borrow Wonko's idea for identifying "new objects", calling
>them
>>"second-generation objects", on the off-chance that we'll someday need
>>"third-generation objects"...
>
>And to think that Glotmorf has been the biggest objector to my uber-prop,
>and here he writes a prop for one of the parts he objected against.
>
>>How's that?  Any bugs?  What'd I forget?
>
>I skimmed it, and in and of itself it appears fine, but regulating
>interaction will be a PITA.  Especially when we start having large amounts
>of both new and old objects, and there's all sorts of interactions between
>them.  Different rules were written at different times for different
>rulesets, and that leads to the incompatibility that makes any kind of new
>thing, like a can of whoopass affecting affecting all objects correctly,
>or
>a new grid item being properly destructed by a reset, properly
>recycleable,
>and so forth; it leads lots of rules listing lots of specific cases.  And
>having two seperate groups of objects, each with a different set of rules
>governing them, will make this complication worse.

Yeah, well, you dared me. :)

Anyway, note where I said that Properties and Methods have rule text associated with them...as in, within the definition.  Define a Property in a 2GC, include the rule that governs its use.  Define a Method, include the rule that says what it does.  This should generally make for less stuff in the main body of rules itself, since the rules governing a given object would be part of the object's definition.

As for new objects and old objects...note I didn't define any objects this go-around.  You dared me to propose a class system, after all, not to stick everything into it.  2GCs can be created to define grid objects, grid squares, units of exchange, etc., and then existing objects can be converted into 2GOs.  There should be relatively little actual change in the rules, except that the main body will shrink and the object collection will grow.  Oh, and I'll be able to find the damn things in less than five minutes for a change.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower