Orc In A Spacesuit on 28 Mar 2003 06:03:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Lots of stuff

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
...and they might be more readily integrated into the class system talked about earlier.

Funny... last time I tried to do something involving a class system,
people started calling it C++ Nomic.

Did people say that would be a bad thing? :)

Heheh. Actually, after Dave said "I fear C++ Nomic", BvS or bd chimed in, saying "We all do". Though, true, just because you fear something doesn't mean its bad. However, it wasn't really C++ Nomic I was wanting, as it will be in English. I am not too keen on using C++'s syntax and such.

My biggest objection to the Uber-Prop was that it was too much at once...that it tried to do too much in one sitting. This was particularly bad because, since it would take more than one nweek to write, it was likely to leave stuff out, such as stuff that had become part of the ruleset while it was being written.

First, I dare you to, in 1 nweek, write a proposal that will implement a class system that will not cause any bugs. Next, a major reason it has been taking so long is to avoid bugs. There were many times where I'd spend hours on a single rule, and not even the bigger ones, searching through the ruleset for interactions, and making sure everything ran smoothly once rewritten.

Also, no small amount of time has gone into stating the revision numbers of a rule when I make a change; for example, I'll say "Change Rule 301/23 to..." or whatever, so when I go back to take a look if that revision number has changed, I know to look at every prop that's affected the rule (thanks Dave for the revision histories!), and incorporate whatever the spirit of that proposal was into the ruleset.

Heh, spirit. Much has been said about the "spirit of the law" versus the "letter of the law". As in, loopholes and technicalities let you get past the letter while breaking the spirit. I think that my uber is trying to leave the spirit of the rules intact, while chaging the letter of the rules to better have the letters serve the spirit, as well as the overall spirit of all nomic games: change.

Orc in a Spacesuit