Daniel Lepage on 25 Mar 2003 00:56:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Orcish Alcohol Tolerance

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 12:02  PM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

Oh no you don't... Leave them alone. They're all that remains. With all these proposed things to add to the Grid, why should everything be lost when a win happens? Rule 21 states that the Game should continue as normally as possible. Points can go because they're just markers towards a win, but the other things do so much more. Or will, when I'm done with them.-
Actually, as full a reset as can be contrived would be attractive to me since it creates a greater incentive to prevent anyone from winning. The incentive to win can be increased by allowing the winning player to come through a reset with some of eir resources intact.

Yes, but consider something like my recent mass-mining. After all that work, to simply lose all my RUs just because somebody forgot to fix Tequila when we added Charm Wins would just, well, suck.

Then also, that takes away all incentive to spend points on things. It costs a fair amount of resources to purchase and equip a speeder; if you're just going to lose it in a few nweeks anyway, why bother? Better to hoard said resources and be the one causing the reset.

This suggests also that long term progress will be impossible - how can we create a diverse, complicated world when everything is destroyed every few nweeks? I envision a grid covered with interesting things - buildings, mines, factories, guns, trenches, villages, cities - inhabited by players, NPCs, speeders, speeder variants, hundreds of possible objects (hopefully all stored in a nifty little properties database, so that we can track all of them without lots of messiness), and diverse abilities for everyone and anything.

That will never happen if every village and speeder is obliterated on an nmonthly basis.

--
Wonko