Glotmorf on 9 Jan 2003 09:09:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] insta-props

On 1/8/03 at 9:41 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>I've had this idea for a long time, well before the takeover, but never
>got
>around to it.  Pretty much I'm saying people can make insta props, and
>once
>enough people say yes, they immidiatly takes effect.
>
>I propose the following:
>{{__Immidiate fixes__
>Create the following rule:
>{{__Insta-props__{*(insta-prop), 3*}
>An insta-prop is a formal request for a set of rule changes or other
>changes
>to the game state.
>All insta-props have a Name and one of the 4 following attributes:
>Pending,
>Approved, Denied, and Retracted.
>A player may create an insta-prop, only if e has no Pending insta-props.
>When an insta-prop is created, it has the attribute Pending.
>Pending Insta-props may be revised or retracted by their original author.
>When an insta-prop is retracted, it ceases to be Pending and gains the
>attribute Retracted.
>All players, and the administrator, may Approve or Deny any Pending
>insta-prop at any time, even if the player is On Leave.  When a player or
>the administrator Approves an insta-prop, e becomes Approving of the
>insta-prop; when e Denies an insta-prop, e ceases to be Approving of the
>insta-prop.  If an insta-prop is revised, all players and the
>administrator
>cease to be Approving of the insta-prop.  [[You gotta get everyone to
>approve the new version.]]
>If one-half of all players are Approving of an insta-prop, or one-half all
>players not on Forced Leave and the Administrator are Approving of the
>insta-prop, the insta-prop gains the attribute Approved and loses the
>attribute Pending.
>When an insta-prop becomes Approved, all changes to the rules and other
>parts of the game state in the insta-prop take effect, in the the order
>they
>appear in the insta prop, and all players and the administator cease to be
>Approving of the insta-prop.
>If an insta-prop has not been revised for 10 ndays, and no player or the
>administrator became Approving of that insta-prop during that time, it
>becomes Denied.
>}}
>
>Create the following rule:
>{{__Bar__{*1001*}
>Rule 1229 may be changed by this rule. This rule takes precedence over
>Rule
>1229.  Immidiatly after the creation of this rule, Rule 1229 is repealed,
>then this rule is repealed.
>}}
>}}
>
>As usual, comments welcome.  The only good thing about The Overlord is
>that
>it will allow fixes to the gamestate; this lets them happen faster when
>needed, and requires even more approval than a normal proposal, and so is
>much more balanced.

A few thoughts...

As it's written, it is possible to keep an insta-prop alive indefinitely by switching between Approving and Denying.  Is this a bug or a feature?

You might want to toss in a Minister.  Dave's proposal made the Overlord eir own Minister, presumably because Dave didn't want to manage the docket.  He probably wouldn't want to manage insta-props then either.

Alternately...could ALL proposals be done this way, without a ballot?

Should insta-props have point investiture like regular props?  If so, there should be the possibility of loss as well as gain.  That would require three states rather than two: Approving, Denying and Neutral.  A player who is neither Approving nor Denying regarding an insta-prop is Neutral; should an insta-prop ever get at least half the playerbase, or half the not-on-Forced-Leave playerbase plus the Administrator, Denying it, it fails.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower