David E. Smith on 24 Oct 2002 00:09:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] today's OFFICIAL SCARY THOUGHT

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

> I had considered writing up the entire ruleset as it would appear after the
> changes, both for easy reading and for you to use, but I realized that
> probably wouldn't work too well with your scripts and database.  As for
> implementing the changes, I'll help if you want me to, and you tell me the
> details of your database system.

The database -- at least the rules table thereof -- is simple enough. I
don't have the schema handy, but it's basically something like this:

key (an MySQL auto-increment key, mostly for making some queries simpler)
rulenum
rulerev (revision number)
itemtype (rule, proposal, CFI, society-doc, a couple other weird types)
title
text
nweek (when it was last changed/revised/whatever)
owner (author for props, initial judge for CFIs, usually "0" for
       rules/charters/etc. number, looks stuff up in the "players" table)

To revise a rule, you need to look up the current revision number for the
relevant rule, add 1, then do a simple INSERT query. Nothin' fancy,
really. (Possibly overkill, but keeping around every revision of every
rule and proposal seems to be a popular choice. It's also why the database
is up to about 6MB, but what the hey.)

If/when we get to that point, I can pull out the exact database schema,
and most of the support scripts/include() files I use. But you can also
just feed me a big SQL file. (You may also want to talk to Joel about
getting an account on the nomic.net server; I'll gladly give you read
access to most of the database -- the 'bonus boxes' table is off limits,
but most everything else is public information anyway.)

...dave