Wonko on 22 Oct 2002 21:51:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Lots of Stuff

Okay, I've been gone for a day, and just finished reading everything, so now
I'm going to respond to what I can:

1) IT
    My interpretation is that IT does give Coffee and Tea in cups. My reason
for believing this is that the rule states that IT dispenses Coffee and Tea,
and the rules defining Coffee and Tea state that Coffee and Tea are measured
in Cups. I would claim that this implies that if you get "Coffee", that is
"A Cup of Coffee". IT is a Grid Object, because Towels are Grid Objects and
IT inherits from Towel ("It's a towel!"), however, since the distribution of
Tea is not tied to the location by the rule, it is legal to get Tea
regardless of where IT is, much the same way as it is legal to pay the Witch
Gremlin to Curse someone regardless of the Witch Gremlin's location. The
actual location of IT is currently generic, the same way the location of the
Grid is generic - IT's there, but where is immaterial.

2) WBE
    I submit that if the rules utilize a given string to refer to an object
which they attempt to create, then that string is considered to be a
uniquely identifying name for that potential object, regardless of whether
or not the object actually exists. Thus, for example, I could not change my
name to Yoda, as Yoda is a name used by the rules, regardless of the fact
that the Force Gremlin's existence was blocked by the Immunity Idol. This
means that the creation of WBE by Glotmorf was not legal, and so didn't
occur. Then Glotmorf's proposal repealed the section of the rules which
attempted to define WBE, and so the name was released for use, and I was
able to create WBE under r578.
    This should be a moot point soon, though, as negotiations are underway.

3) The Uber Prop
    I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing through, but I'm
definitely in favor of it, or something very much like it. I agree that
administrative overwork, being the leading cause of death for online Nomics,
is something that needs to be addressed, and streamlining the ruleset to
allow greater automation is the best preventive for this. Go for it.

4) The Useless Items
    I agree that many of these add color to the game, but they add color the
same way a bucket of blue paint sitting in the middle of the floor adds
color - it's kind of ugly, it takes up space, and you have to be careful not
to trip over it when you want to move around the room. And it smells kind of
funny, but that may just be my computer. I'm in favor of 'color', but not at
the price of readability and simplicity. Certainly a number of things that
seem to have no function but to complicate things for the Admin/Ministers
(like Curt and Rod) ought to be either turned into something useful, or
removed entirely. If you can't think of anything that would look good in
blue, throw out the bucket.

5) The Justice System
    There are a couple of things I think would help the judicial system:
    A) Give newbies a 'grace period' - perhaps they can't judge until
they're at least one nweek old and have voted on at least one proposal. That
way, people who join just to quit again won't be selected (404notfound, for
example)
    B) Make more and better people members of the Upper House - perhaps it's
limited to people who are at least 5 nweeks old, so that we can be
reasonably sure they know their way around the ruleset. The current
criteria, having judged 3 or more CFIs, isn't really very good (case and
point: 404notfound could've been put there almost as soon as joining, while
older players such as myself and Rob only recently got qualified, if at
all).
    C) Make recusions go straight to the Upper House - otherwise CFI's can
bounce from dead player to dead player until the issue becomes moot.

--
Wonko