Orc In A Spacesuit on 10 Oct 2002 06:11:12 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] The Library

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 10/10/02 at 12:34 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>You all remember my Gallery proposal earlier this nweek, the one about us
>submitting pictures of ourselves, without actually affecting the game,
>right?
>
>Well, I had another idea, and have started another project.  Perhaps The
>Library will be completed soon.  And no, I'm not looking for another
>ministry.
>
>Orc In A Spacesuit
>begins the construction.

By "library", do you perhaps mean a really big FAQ, including writeups on various topics? I'd thought of that once, and was going to call it the Ministry of Information. It could include different types of indices to the rule set.

What'cha got?

						Glotmorf

*sighs* Well, I had planned not to give away details until later, when I could present it, kind of like how I did with the Grid in 3D (which I plan to update at either the end of this nweek (but including changes that happen at the beginning of the next), or upon resolution of the possible SOE.

Anyway, I was looking through the archives, trying to elicit the original purpose of Societies, and I noticed how full of life the game has been (and how there was actually 3 whole nweeks in a month), and how props back then still had the stories written in, like BvS's infiltration of the DimShip warehouse, which was the first one I saw. After seeing this, I decided to solidify two ideas that I'd had floating around in my head.

First, I'm creating a sort of History Book for BNomic. I'm going through the entire game archives, and writing the summaries of what people did, and including the [[story]] text in the props. This isn't a log, although someone should be able to reconstruct the game with it, but much more - I'm putting in my comments, annotations, links, the works. I'm making it for posterity, for new players (including myself), for reference, and as a guide to the 'spirit of the game' for the CFI judges. I plan to put it into multiple formats, including plain text, Word Document, HTML, and perhaps Adobe .pdf, if I can get a hold of someone with the software.

The other thing will be ongoing, similar but not identical. I plan to continue this with events as they happen, but with an additional, primary purpose: A guide to Dave as to what the 400 messages on public and discuss mean. What I mean is, I will type up everyone's (attempted) actions, like a recognizer, but constantly update it with the results of the latest arguments. I will try to keep in unopinionated, and if people are in disagreement about something (ie--Wonko did something), I will summarize eir arguments, letting Dave take a look at the actual email. This second part I plan to start once everything settles down a bit. If we can get a definitive Recognizer and clear the CFI's off the table, I will have a good base point from which to begin. As of right now, I have no idea what's going on. That's partially why I am using so many 'if this is true' and 'if I can' conditionals on my actions, and why I had that lengthy formula for how many points I borrowed. I've actually decided to stop doing anything complicated or not essential or for a while.

Orc In A Spacesuit